This course provides information about the Check-In, Check-Out (CICO) Tier 2 intervention, steps for developing a CICO program, and strategies for effective implementation. Adaptations for Preschool and High School implementation will be presented along with considerations for making the intervention culturally relevant for all stakeholders.
Check-In, Check-Out is designed for students whose problem behaviors:
- Are unresponsive to Tier 1 practices and systems
- Do not require more immediate individualized interventions
- Are observed across multiple settings or contexts.
Once developed, the CICO intervention is designed to be continuously available and easily accessed soon after a student candidate is identified. Although more time is required from staff members who coordinate the program, classroom teachers can usually implement the intervention in less than 5-10 minutes per day.
CICO can be implemented with any age student, preschool through high school, and when implemented with fidelity, it is likely to be effective with 60-75% of at-risk students. As with any Tier 2 intervention, a student should not be identified for additional support unless he or she has received Tier 1 with fidelity.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe students who are most likely to benefit from Check-In, Check-Out.
- Identify the daily, weekly/twice-monthly, and quarterly components of Check-In, Check-Out.
- Tell main findings of research associated with Check-In, Check-Out.
- Describe the responsibilities for CICO Coordinator and Facilitator prior to assigning roles.
- Determine CICO location, number of students served per facilitator, and intervention name.
- Develop a Daily Progress Report (DPR).
- Develop a system to provide reinforcement for students participating in Check-In, Check-Out.
- Develop a system to provide reinforcement for staff who actively participate in Check-In, Check-Out.
- Develop a consistent response to office discipline referrals of students participating in Check-In, Check-Out.
- Develop a system for identifying CICO participants.
- Develop a system for CICO data management.
- Determine criteria for starting to fade a student from CICO.
- Develop a system for teaching self-management prior to fading.
- Develop a system for fading CICO.
- Develop a system for graduating students from CICO and providing ongoing support.
- Develop implementation training for staff, students, and families.
- Develop a system for monitoring fidelity of CICO implementation.
- Develop a system for monitoring CICO social validity.
- Develop a system for monitoring intervention outcomes.
- Develop Intervention Essential Features documentation to provide a clear description of all CICO intervention components.
- Develop modifications to CICO based on student needs.
- Understand key issues to consider when CICO is identified as a support for students receiving special education services.
- Develop CICO Adaptations for Preschool Implementation.
- Develop CICO Adaptations for High School Implementation.
- Understand the core components of cultural competence.
- Develop modifications to culturally adapt Tier 2 Systems and CICO for intended consumers.
This course is for Tier 2 teams that have developed their Tier 2 systems and are ready to begin planning the Check-In, Check-Out intervention. Systems in place should include: 1) Tier 2 team roles and responsibilities, 2) identifying students for Tier 2 support, 3) collecting student information to make informed decisions and determine function of behavior, and 4) staff training and communication. Refer to prior lessons for information about developing these systems.
- Do you currently have a support for at-risk students where they check in and out with a staff member at the beginning and end of the day? If you do:
- How is the support structured similarly for all students receiving it?
- How is the function of behavior determined?
- How are goals established?
- How is data kept?
- How is feedback provided to the student?
Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
Pre-assessment: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
Learning Package Lesson Video: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
Post Assessment: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
Closure and Follow-up: Check-in/Check-out Daily Progress Report
References: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
- Pre-assessment: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
- Learning Package Lesson Video: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
- Post Assessment: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report
- Closure and Follow-up: Check-in/Check-out Daily Progress Report
- References: Check-in Check-out Daily Progress Report