SW Positive Behavior Support in the Classroom;
The 8 Effective Teaching and Learning Practices – 10 Lessons
Positive Behavior Support in the Classroom introduces the 8 Missouri School-wide Positive Behavior Support (SW-PBS) Effective Teaching and Learning Practices. These practices have been shown to decrease problem behavior and increase time for academic learning. These positive and proactive strategies help to establish an effective classroom learning environment. This learning package contains 10 lessons, which includes an Overview, separate lessons for each of the 8 Effective Teaching and Learning Practices, and a final lesson that covers On-Going Monitoring. Links to all 10 lessons can be found on this page.
- Teachers develop knowledge of the Science of Behavior.
- Teachers develop an understanding that classroom procedures should be defined, posted, taught, and referred to regularly.
- Teachers develop knowledge of classroom rules/expectations that are aligned with school-wide expectations.
- Teachers develop knowledge of a continuum or menu of strategies to encourage appropriate behavior.
- Teachers understand how having a continuum or menu of strategies to discourage unexpected behavior is developed.
- Teachers develop the process of monitoring learning and performance on classroom expectations/rules that incorporates moving, scanning and interacting with students.
- Teachers understand how to provide students with multiple Opportunities to Respond (OTR).
- Teachers develop knowledge of activity sequencing that thinks about and alters the manner in which instructional tasks, activities or requests are ordered to promote learning and encourage appropriate behavior.
- Teachers develop skills to determine which aspects of the task/assignment do not match the student’s skills and appropriate adjustments to decrease associated problem behaviors and increase opportunities for academic success.
Lesson 1 ETLP Overview Materials
Participant and Presenter Materials
Participant Materials (PDF Versions)
For additional information, see the MO SW-PBS Tier 1 Workbook
Prior to training, facilitator should:
• Read Ch 8 (Effective Classroom Practices) of the MO SW-PBS Tier 1 Workbook
Visit the following links to access materials for subsequent lessons for this topic.