This lesson provides information that will assist teams in developing a Check-In, Check-Out (CICO) intervention. Developing a system for reinforcing students and staff who participate in the intervention is important for the successful implementation of Check-In, Check-Out. It is also essential that staff develop a consistent response to teacher-managed and office-managed discipline referrals that are received by students participating in Check-In, Check-Out.
By the end of this lesson, you will be able to:
- Develop a system to provide reinforcement for students participating in Check-In, Check-Out.
- Develop a system to provide reinforcement for staff who actively participate in Check-In, Check-Out.
- Develop a consistent response to teacher-managed and office-managed referrals of students participating in Check-In, Check-Out.
This lesson is for Tier 2 teams that have developed their Tier 2 systems, have viewed the Check-In, Check-Out (CICO) Introductory Overview, CICO Program Design, and CICO Daily Progress Report lessons, and are ready to begin developing a system for providing reinforcement and a system for consistent responses to discipline referrals of students participating in CICO. Teams planning for preschool or high school implementation should also have completed either the CICO Adaptations for Preschool Implementation or CICO Adaptations for High School Implementation lessons.
Systems in place should include: 1) Tier 2 team roles and responsibilities, 2) identifying students for Tier 2 support, 3) collecting student information to make informed decisions and determine function of behavior, and 4) staff training and communication. Refer to Courses 1-4 for information about developing these systems.
- What primary reinforcer is the integral component of CICO?
- Why would students participating in CICO benefit from additional reinforcers?
- Why is it important to reinforce participating staff members?
- Why is it important that school staff have a consistent response to discipline referrals received by CICO participants?