Discouraging Unexpected Behavior
Schools must have a system in place that allows staff to efficiently and effectively respond to a range of inappropriate behavior, from relatively minor ones such as talking out or being off-task, to chronic minor behaviors, and to more serious or major problems such as physical or verbal aggression.
This module provides information on the practices needed to build a comprehensive system to discourage the full range of inappropriate behaviors.
- Explain the role of teaching in response to student social errors.
- Define for your school what constitutes a “major” or office-managed behavior that warrants an office
- Develop an office referral form with all essential data fields, and clarify procedures surrounding the
- Use respectful strategies for staff-managed “minor” inappropriate behavior.
- Demonstrate instructional strategies for responding to inappropriate behavior.
- Select and use additional consequences effectively.
- Develop a process to monitor minor student behavior and guide discipline decisions.
- The building leadership team has implemented the systems to define “Major” or office-managed unexpected behavior, a form to capture “Major” behaviors, and the systems needed to collect “Major” data for decision-making.
- The building leadership team has implemented the systems to define “Minor” or classroom-managed unexpected behavior, a schoolwide procedure to monitor “Minor” behaviors, and effective and consistent instructional response strategies for “Minor” classroom-managed unexpected behaviors.
- The building leadership team has developed and implemented an effective and consistent schoolwide system to discourage unexpected behavior.
Participant and Presenter Materials
- MO SW-PBS Handbook: Section 1 Overview
- MO SW-PBS Tier 1 Implementation Guide, Course 6: Discouraging Unexpected Behavior
Pre/Post Assessment: Pre and post assessments are a component of high-quality professional development. It is recommended that all consultants and other trainers/facilitators use them as they tailor their professional development for their audience. The pre/post assessment and the answer key are posted below for downloading and administering.
Presenter PowerPoints with Notes: A PowerPoint file with detailed presenter notes is available for the module.
- Missouri SW-PBS (2019). Missouri schoolwide positive behavior support tier 1 implementation guide.