Tier 2 Check-In, Check-Out (CICO)
This course provides information about the Check-In, Check-Out (CICO) Tier 2 intervention, steps for developing a CICO program, and strategies for effective implementation. Adaptations for Preschool and High School implementation will be presented along with considerations for making the intervention culturally relevant for all stakeholders.
Check-In, Check-Out is designed for students whose problem behaviors:
- Are unresponsive to Tier 1 practices and systems
- Do not require more immediate individualized interventions
- Are observed across multiple settings or contexts.
Once developed, the CICO intervention is designed to be continuously available and easily accessed soon after a student candidate is identified. Although more time is required from staff members who coordinate the program, classroom teachers can usually implement the intervention in less than 5-10 minutes per day.
CICO can be implemented with any age student, preschool through high school, and when implemented with fidelity, it is likely to be effective with 60-75% of at-risk students. As with any Tier 2 intervention, a student should not be identified for additional support unless he or she has received Tier 1 with fidelity.
- The leadership team has developed and implemented the essential features of the Check-in, Check-Out (CICO) intervention with a high degree of fidelity.
- The leadership team has developed and implemented a consistent process to engage in data-based decision-making around impact and implementation data.
- The leadership team has developed and implemented a process for teaching relevant stakeholders about the intervention.
Participant and Presenter Materials
This course is for Tier 2 teams that have developed their Tier 2 systems and are ready to begin planning the Check-In, Check-Out intervention. Systems in place should include: 1) Tier 2 team roles and responsibilities, 2) identifying students for Tier 2 support, 3) collecting student information to make informed decisions and determine function of behavior, and 4) staff training and communication.
- MO SW-PBS Handbook:
- Section 1: Overview
- Section 2: A Systems Approach
- Section 3: Function Based Thinking
- Section: 4 Multi-Tiered System of Support
- MO SW-PBS Tier 2 Workbook: Workbook Chapter 5
- BEP Manual (Responding to Problem Behavior in Schools)1
Presenter PowerPoints with Notes: A PowerPoint file with detailed presenter notes is available for the module.
- Responding to Problem Behavior in Schools: The Behavior Education Program, 2nd Edition (Crone, Hawken & Horner).